Ferrari SF90 Spider: A 1000 HP Plug-in Hybrid Convertible
The SF90 Stradale was the first production plug-in hybrid spider from Ferrari, and the Prancing Horse’s loyalists knew an updated version would soon be revealed. The SF90 Spider also sets new benchmarks for performance, innovation and the thrill of driving, not only for the marque’s range but for the entire sports car sector with a 1000 hp and the open-air driving experience.
The SF90 Spider’s plug-in hybrid system guarantees performance levels unmatched by any other production spider with three electric motors combining 220 hp with one of the most powerful turbocharged V8. The 780 cv combustion engine contributes to the additional 14 hp than the SF90 Stradale.
The plug-in hybrid has, as the marque calls it “eManettino”, four drive modes on the steering wheel – eDrive that has all-electric operations, Hybrid, optimises the use of V-8, Performance, which focuses on the V-8 while Qualify uses all the power from the electric motors with the combustion engine.
“If you talk about the stiffness and rigidity of the car, we have sustained the performance of the coupe,” said Michael Leiters, Ferrari’s chief technical officer, during the unveiling. “This is why we already considered the spider version during the coupe’s development.” Leiters further clarified that 80 per cent is attributed to the retractable hardtop and its operating system, while the remaining 20 per cent at the damping used to increase the rigidity of the spaceframe.
The SF90 Spider also has AWD, which has raised the bar for standing starts to unparalleled zero to 62 mph in just 2.5 seconds, and a top speed of 211 mph. With a 590 ft-lbs of torque, Spider uses the same eight-speed dual-clutch transmission introduced in its sibling that results in 30 per cent quicker response than the seven-speed predecessor. If these numbers weren’t staggering enough, the hybrid convertible weighs 3,682 pounds, that is more than 220 pounds heavier than its closed-top counterpart.
The SF90 Spider thus represents a fundamental revision of the supercar concept that makes it the ideal car for owners that demand the very pinnacle of Ferrari technology but still want to experience the joy of open-top driving.